So here is my delicious experiment.....
1 cup yellow moong dal- rinsed and soaked for about 2 hours in hot water,
2-3 tbs oil
1 small onion (optional)
1 heaped tsp garlic purée,
1 tsp ginger paste,
1/2 tsp mustard seed,
1/2 tsp cumin seeds,
a large pinch of asafoetida,
3-4 curry leaves,
1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder (recommended to give a nice colour but you can use normal chilli powder)
1 tsp turmeric powder,
1 1/2 - 2 tsp coriander-cumin powder,
2 tsp sugar, or to taste,
1-2 tsp lemon juice, or to taste,
1 tsp salt, or to taste,
fresh green coriander.
1) When the two hours are up, drain the dal and heat the oil in a pan over a medium to hot heat.
2) Add the mustard seeds and cook until the pop before adding the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
3) Take off the heat and add the curry leaves. Fry for just a moment.
4) Add the onions, ginger, garlic and fry over heat until they start turning brown. (That's if you are using them)
5) Add the spices, sugar and about a cup of water. Bring to the boil and then add the moong dal.
6) Turn the heat down to low and cook with a tight fitting lid for about 15 minutes or until cooked.
But BEWARE!! Do not stir the dal until you put in the lemon juice and salt, but even then you only want to fold those ingredients in otherwise it will all turn to mush.
7) Check the seasoning and serve garnished with coriander. It goes really nice with plain boiled basmati rice and Healthy mixed vegetable curry.
Please enjoy and feel free to give advice, comments and experiences.