I hope that you enjoy these as much as me!!!
ingredients for the outer layer:-
1 cup sieved gram flour.
a pinch of hing (asafoetida)
a pinch turmeric,
1/8 tsp baking powder,
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste,
Ingredients for the filling:-
1 kg floury potatoes- boiled
About 10 cloves of garlic or a very large tsp of garlic purée,
1/2 inch piece of grated ginger or 1/2 tsp ginger paste
1-2 green chillies,
about 7 fresh curry leaves,
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 onion diced,
a large pinch asafoetida,
1/2 tsp turmeric powder,
1 tbs fresh coriander,
1/2 tbs lemon juice or to taste,
1 1/2 tbs oil
salt to taste.
1) While the potatoes are boiling, mix all the dry ingredients for the outer layer together and then slowly add enough water make a thick batter making sure that there are no lumps. I always check the consistency of the batter on the back of a spoon.
2) Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, let them pop and then add the cumin seeds and the asafoetida and fry for a few seconds.
3) Take the pan of the heat and add the curry leaves. Let them sizzle for a second and then add the onion and saute until just starting to brown on the heat.
4) Add the ginger and garlic and saute for another minute or so.
5) Season with salt, turmeric, lemon juice and coriander.
6) Add the potatoes and coarsely mash into the spices. Leave aside to cool slightly.
7) While you are waiting, Heat a pan of oil over a medium to hot heat. (You need enough oil to coat the bhaji's.)
8) When the potato mixture is cool enough to handle, place a slit along the chillies, but make sure that you don't go all of the way through and stuff the chillies with the potato mixture, pressing down with your finger to make sure that the stuffing has gone all of the way through the chilli. Seal it together as best as you can.
9) Dip the chillies into the batter and dip into the oil. Fry for a couple of minutes until golden.
Serve the chopped onion, coriander, chutney and sev (optional)
Please feel free to comment on this dish. Maybe you could share your experiences with mirchi bhaji's? Thank you
:-) :-) :-)