This is a real special recipe! Everyone I know who has tried these amazing balls of wonder have always gone back for seconds, or maybe thirds..or forth... Basically i would make sure that you have time to make plenty of these because the will disappear like hotcakes!
Here we go!!.......
1 kg floury potatoes- boiled
About 10 cloves of garlic or a very large tsp of garlic purée,
1-2 green chillies,
about 7 fresh curry leaves,
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 onion diced,
a large pinch asafoetida,
1/2 tsp turmeric powder,
1 tbs fresh coriander,
1/2 tbs lemon juice or to taste,
1 1/2 tbs oil
salt to taste.
ingredients for the outer layer:-
1 cup sieved gram flour.
a pinch of hing (asafoetida)
a pinch turmeric,
1/8 tsp baking powder,
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste.
directions:- For the potato mixture.
1) Heat the oil in a pan over a medium to hot heat and add the mustard seeds. Wait until they pop like popcorn.
2) Add the cumin seeds and the asafoetida and let them sizzle for a second or so before you add the onions. Saute the onions until they are light brown.
3) Add the garlic, chillies and the ginger and stir for a few minutes
4) Add the lemon juice, salt, coriander and the turmeric and give it a quick stir before adding the potato.
5) Mash the potato into the mixture making sure that you leave some chunks of potato.
Test the seasoning to cheek if is your taste and a just if you need to.
6) Mix all the dry ingredients for the outer layer together and then slowly add enough water make a thick batter making sure that there are no lumps. I always check the consistency of the batter on the back of a spoon.
7) Heat enough oil in a pan to coat the vada's over a medium heat.
8) Roll the potato mixture into equal size balls an set aside.
9) Dip the balls into the mixture, making sure that they are well coated and then fry in the oil.
10) Fry 3 or 4 at a time but do not crowed the pan. You need to have space for the vada's to move around.
11) Fry each vada for a few minutes each, or until nice and golden. Make sure you turn each vada a few times to ensure even cooking.
I hope that you enjoy these little treasures as much as my family and friends.