I actually use quite a lot of garlic in this recipe, but you can omit if its not to your taste, but it really does make a difference to the dish because it becomes very mild once it has been cooked down and becomes all scrumptious.
1 kg floury potatoes- boiled
About 10 cloves of garlic or a very large tsp of garlic purée,
1-2 green chillies,
about 7 fresh curry leaves,
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 onion diced,
a large pinch asafoetida,
1/2 tsp turmeric powder,
1 tbs fresh coriander,
1/2 tbs lemon juice or to taste,
1 1/2 tbs oil
salt to taste.
1) Heat the oil in a pan over a medium to hot heat and add the mustard seeds. Wait until they pop like popcorn.
2) Add the cumin seeds and the asafoetida and let them sizzle for a second or so before you add the onions. Saute the onions until they are light brown.
3) Add the garlic, chillies and the ginger and stir for a few minutes
4) Add the lemon juice, salt, coriander and the turmeric and give it a quick stir before adding the potato.
5) Mash the potato into the mixture making sure that you leave some chunks of potato.
Test the seasoning to cheek if is your taste and a just if you need to.
Enjoy the countless things you can do with this amazing mixture. On this opportunity i made potato vadas.