Ingredients:- Amounts can be doubled for a family.
1 tin of black eye beans,
2 tbs extra mild olive oil or sunflower oil,
1 medium onion - blended,
1 small tin of chopped tomato,
1 heaped tsp garlic paste- or to taste,
1 green chilli - or to taste,
1 tsp ginger paste,
5-6 curry leaves,
1/4 tsp black mustard seeds,
1/4 tsp cumin seeds,
a pinch of asafoetida (hing) - optional,
1/2 tsp turmeric powder,
1/2 tsp red chilli powder or to taste,
1/4 tsp garam masala.
1 1/2 tsp sugar
Fresh coriander and spring onions for garnishing.
1) Heat the oil in a medium pan over a medium to hot heat. Then add the mustard seeds and let them pop and crackle.
2) Then add the cumin seeds and asafoetida and let them sizzle.
3) Take off the heat for a moment and add the curry leaves. Give them a stir.
4) Add the onion, garlic, ginger and the green chilli and cook until the onions are just starting to brown.
5) Then add the tinned tomatoes and cook the mixture down until it is a thick paste.
6) Add the spice powders, the sugar and the beans and give it all a good mix to coat the beans well.
7) Add sufficient water and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, then check the seasoning and adjust if you need to.
Serve with rice and chapati's or poori's
Garnish with coriander and spring onions.