I think the combination of me feeling completely at ease in her company and her home, and me feeling ill and her feeding me this dish was absolute comfort to me. At the time my pallet was completely western, so the first few mouth-fulls were a new experience for me. The first mouth-full, i wasn't sure, but then i had another mouth-full and then another and then another, until the whole bowl was devoured and i was left feeling like i wanted more!
Since there is no chance of me sampling her food ever again it has been a bit of a mission of mine to re-create a few of those mega comforting dishes like this one. After lots of attempts i think that i have come close to it. Moong dal with spinach was always the closest contender, but then one day when i was feeling a bit under the weather, it just came to me this recipe! so i had to cook it! When i tasted it and adjusted the seasoning slightly i thought THAT'S IT EURICA!!!
So now i have another dish that i comfort eat too! OH NO i don't need another! oh well it doesn't matter with this one, i am aloud it as it is healthy for you!!! :-)
Here it is............
1 cup split green moong dal
3 cups of water
1 tbs sunflower oil
1/4 tsp hing
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2-3 green chilli's
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp garam massala
1 tbs butter ( optional but really nice )
1) Soak dal in boiling water for 1/2 hour - 1 hour if you have time. If you don't have enough time to soak the dal you can always add some more water and cook for another whistle. Drain before cooking.
2) Heat the pressure cooker over a medium heat and add the oil
3) Add the cumin seed and asafoetida and just let them sizzle for a few seconds and then add the green chilli, turmeric and the ginger. Fry again for a few seconds.
4) Add the drained dal and the salt. Cover and cook for 3-4 whistles.
5) I like to let the steam escape naturally, because this keeps everything cooking slowly, but if you don't have time you can just run the pressure cooker under cold water until all of the pressure is released. Mash everything well with a potato masher.
6) Add the lemon juice, garam massala and the coriander. Mix well test the seasoning
and adjust to your taste.
Serve hot with chapatti's, cacumber ( onions, tomato and cuccumber salad ) and papads. Or plain and simple on it's own!!! UMMMMM