Any way i shall publish this to you one of my everyday recipe's. It is so soothing and comforting. I find that this dish goes so well with tomato'y dishes like tomato and drumsticks or batata nu shaak.
1 cup of yogurt ( dahi )
3 tbs gram flour ( besan )
about 3 cups of water
1-2 green chillies ( hari mirch )
1 tsp grated ginger ( adrak )
1/8 tsp turmeric powder ( haldi )
1 1/2 tsp jaggery or sugar
salt to taste but I use around 1 tsp
1/4 tsp mustard seeds ( rai )
1/4 tsp cumin seeds ( jeera )
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 dried red chillies
1/4 tsp hing ( asafoetida )
8-12 curry leaves ( curry patta )
a small piece of cinnamon
4 or 5 cloves
1-2 tbs fresh coriander
1) Sieve the gram flour into a saucepan and add the salt, sugar and turmeric whisk in the yogurt ensuring that there are no lumps.
2) Slowly whisk in the water, 1 cup at a time to ensure that there are no lumps.
3) Add the ginger and green chilli and mix well.
4) Heat the kadhi slowly on a low heat until it has reached boiling point ensuring that you stir CONSTANTLY. This helps to keep the kadhi a nice smooth texture.
Simmer until desired consistency, but just give it a taste to check that the besan is cooked and that the seasoning is to your liking.
5) Heat a small pan over a medium heat and add the mustard seeds.
6) When they start to splutter quickly add the whole spices and the fresh coriander.
Give it a stir for a few seconds on the heat to wilt the coriander and then add to the kadhi.
7) Re-heat just to let all of the spices infuse together and serve as an accompaniment to any meal and rice. Sprinkle with fresh coriander.